This is one of my favorite icing techniques, especially as a beginner to baking. It’s really simple, easy to practice, and looks beautiful! I chose to use four colors here, however, I’ve seen ombre color combinations and solid colors as well!
- Icing Spatula (Purchase here) or you can even use the back of a fork or knife depending on what it looks like!
- Food Coloring
- Round icing tip (size 7-12)
- Bake the cake and let it cool
- Coat the cake in a thin layer of icing (I typical just make excess of one of the colors I’m using)
- Starting at the bottom of the cake, pipe one dot
- Press your spatula in the middle of the dot and drag sideways so that icing spears
- Continue to do this vertically until a whole row is complete